Most of the anabolic steroids that are used by athletes and sportsmen are basically testosterone, which is a naturally produced male hormone. This hormone can not only help you to get bigger muscle, but also can improve your appearance. However, one should not forget that steroids can also cause certain side effects and few of them may be permanent too. Let us reveal certain interesting facts about steroids in this write up.
Some interesting facts about steroids
People consider steroid as a kind of magical pill, which can transform you into a muscular person within a fortnight. However, many do not realize that there are few side effects that you cannot ignore. Some of the common side effects are as follows –
- Breast development among men
- Male pattern baldness
- Deeper voice in women
- Shrinking testicles
- Facial hair growth in women
- Addiction to steroid
- Steroid gut
- Risk of prostate cancer
In addition to that there are many psychological problems can be as serious as any of the physical effects mentioned above. Moreover, steroids can be addictive and discontinuing them can often result in depression and withdrawal symptoms. If you visit the steroid facts page then you will learn that many people suffer from depression that can be mild to severe and many times that may lead to suicide too. Few other behavioral side effects are as follows –
- Mood swings
- Absence of good judgement
Certain data pertaining to steroid use is mentioned in the following points –
- A study conducted in 2013 shows that 2.1 per cent of 12th grade students have admitted that they use steroids.
- More than 3 million Americans have taken steroids at some point of their life.
- High school girls are among the fastest growing group who prefer to take steroids.
- 41 per cent steroid users can easily get steroids from various illegal sources.
- Mean age of people using steroids is 25 years.
- About 10 per cent retired National Football League players have admitted that they have consumed steroid while participating in the match.
- Injection users of steroids are vulnerable to AIDS as most of the injection equipment used was not sterile.
- Simply taking steroids may not help your cause if you are looking for muscle development and strength unless that is coupled with good diet and regular exercise regime.
- Steroids are used by teenage girls to change or improve their body shape.